Last spring, as we were getting ready to leave Manila and move here, I started to think about what I was going to do to get/stay fit. I had quite a routine going for myself - private pilates lessons twice a week, cardio at the gym at least 5 times a week, free weights and eating clean most of the time. The gym was an elevator ride away in the basement of my condo so that was a no-brainer, and Brenda was an amazing pilates teacher. All was fine and I felt great. What was I going to do when I moved?
A friend of mine in Manila who was from Vancouver just happened to know Qualicum Beach very well. In fact, she and her family come here every June to participate in the Qualicum Beach Triathalon. She told me that it was a fun, low key type of event - swim 400 meters in the pool no less, bike 18K and run 5K. Hmmm. Maybe this was an answer. Training for something like this would certainly keep me fit.
There were just a few problems with this bright idea. I didn't run, I'd never owned a bike, and on the very rare occasions I did swim, it was only a gentle breast stroke. Wouldn't want to put my face in the water and ruin my makeup now, would I? Oh well, details, details. Not going to let that deter me. Back in Manila, I started cranking up the treadmill to start running intervals. How hard could this be? When I got to Qualicum Beach I figured I'd buy a bike and even sign up for a stroke clinic in the pool, since the last time I had a swimming lesson I was probably about 8 years old.
Well here's the update. I did buy a bike - and rode it about 3 times. It wasn't exactly like "riding a bicycle" and it didn't come easy for me. What the hell are you supposed to do with all those gears? I managed to stay upright and moving forward but that was about it. More practice needed.
As for the swimming, well I know where the pool is in town but that's about it. The thought of actually going in it makes me cringe. For one thing it's too wet. For another all kinds of traumatic memories are coming back to me from my childhood, including a particularly vivid one of a little me sitting shivering poolside at swimming lessons, with those horrid little white tiles and the echo chamber sounds of that huge indoor pool. There was also the incident when I dove into the pool and chipped my front tooth on the bottom, scarring me for life. So let's just say that GETTING TO the pool is still a work in progress.
That leaves the running.
I have never run outside before. The only running I've ever done was on the treadmill in the few months leading up to our departure from Manila. However, undeterred, I went shopping (as in, when the going gets tough...) as I need the appropriate running gear, no? It turns out that running outside is becoming an unexpected pleasure where I live. A 5 minute power-walk away and I'm on trails and roads running through acreage properties where llamas, horses, Shetland ponies and market gardens are raised. Sometimes the llamas, there are 5 in the field I regularly run past, are lined up against the fence looking at me with very strange expressions on their faces. "What on earth is SHE doing?" The ponies in the field across from the llamas are also intriguing - can I call them cute?. The woman who owns them has a dog that is as big as they are. The wild also is everywhere to see - birds and ducks and deer. The air is fresh, the trees are tall and if I turn one way on a clear day I see the magnificent Mt. Arrowsmith of the Vancouver Island range. Run (or more likely for me, walk) up to the top of the rise in the other direction and the mainland coast mountains come into view across the sea.
![]() |
| Mt. Arrowsmith - Vancouver Island |
And while I did say I'd finish the Qualicum Beach Triathlon I never did say in what YEAR I'd do it.








No comments:
Post a Comment