Sunday, September 2, 2012
My Summer Vacation v.2012
Today is September and Labor Day Weekend, so that's that. Summer is over. It felt so short, and indeed it was. Real summer weather started this year on July 4th and lasted all of seven weeks. Now the days are noticeably shorter, evenings are cool, early mornings brisk. The pattern of shadows in the backyard has changed as the sun is lower in the sky. It's completely dark by 9.
It's been a busy summer and the time passed too quickly. After the fateful boat trip which grounded us, house guests arrived and we hung out at the house planning dinner, shopping for dinner, cooking dinner and eating dinner. Sleep, wake up and repeat. In between all this gorging on fresh seafood and local market produce, we did manage to squeeze in some walks, local exploring and a few road/boat trips, one to the unpopulated west coast of Vancouver Island and by contrast to both major cities - Victoria and Vancouver.
Now everyone has dispersed to their respective homes and this past week we've been on our own for the first time in over a month. Quiet time, decompression time. The relaxation has been fine but at the same time there is so much I am itching to do - clean out the GreenHouse and get it ready for fall when the fuchsias come back in, put in a new bed in the back to be ready for spring planting, remove a few shrubs that are ill placed. We found a hydrangea growing in the front of the house which is in total shade and gets little rain as it is mostly under roof overhang. It is a large shrub but with such conditions it was no surprise when it yielded exactly one flower, which I promptly cut off and brought inside to enjoy it close up. Perhaps it was planted by the same tenant who mistakenly planted hostas along that same front bed. Deer food. They munch on it all summer and leave their "evidence" on the lawn. Time for a deer-resistant, full-shade change of plantings. I also want to go for longer walks now that the heat of the days is no more, exploring new trails. I also plan to rearrange all the art in the house and take on a couple of decorating projects.
But I can't. Do anything. I've been sidelined by not one, but two different injuries to my back. The first happened while I was in bed sleeping - when I woke up I was in pain and couldn't get out of bed. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with 4 hours of spring cleaning (a little late) the day before and if that is the case I'll make sure it never happens again. The second happened 5 days later when I finally felt able to walk a little further and went off to pick blackberries. I ended up falling down a bank by the railroad track and hurting the other side of my back.
So these days I am alternating hobbling around the house and garden and lying on a chaise in the garden shading by a big orange hat and wrapped in a blanket. I read books and self medicate, stare at the sky and the top of the huge cedar out front and watch the bees in the garden that is now a riot of blue and purple flowers. Yesterday morning I got in the car to go to the Saturday market to pick up flowers and the Saturday papers. I had a hard time getting in and out of the car and once on the pavement shuffled my way along like everyone else in this geriatric town. Stiff and sore. My future flashed before my eyes.
I need to get better soon, so I won't push it. All those projects can wait. Next week Number Two Son comes to visit and we're off for a few days in Tofino on the west coast, a place for walking and hiking and kayaking and, uh, surfing. I'd hate to show up there pushing my new walker.
Labels:
Odds and Ends





No comments:
Post a Comment