Friday, September 30, 2011

The Bunkie

I'm not sure where the expression "bunkie" comes from. Bunkhouse probably. The first time I heard the term, it was in Ontario cottage country and referred to a tiny sleeping cabin behind a larger cottage. It certainly doesn't appear to be used here in British Columbia, so I do get some blank looks. No matter. Our house, which is one story on a concrete slab foundation, feels like a cottage (although not like any cottage I ever spent my summers in) and the guest "sleeping cabin" in our backyard has now christened itself "The Bunkie".

Now, what do you do with a bunkie when there are no guests? I've appropriated it for my studio and already am starting to spend a lot of time there. It's a fantastic space with its own fireplace, high ceilings, bathroom and kitchen counter with bar fridge and sink. I'll vacate when needed, for those of you who should come and visit (and you know who you are).

Introducing "The Bunkie"...



No comments:

Post a Comment