These days, as the trip has been planned and designed, little tidal waves (we won't call it a tsunami, will we) of memories keep washing over me. Thousands and thousands of memory glimpses, making me catch my breath, I'm smiling all the time. For example, I see a picture of the boat we will take down the Ayerwaddy from Mandalay to Bagan and I remember those two boat trips a few years ago now on the Mekong, one in northern Laos with its beautiful mountain scenery and another in southern Laos where the land is flatter, the river is wide and on that trip was very low, revealing big sandbars along the way.
Memory flash. On the trip in the north we watched The Dutchman in his cream linen suit, who couldn't stay away from the sunny outside deck, always standing, gazing for hours and hours at the scenery as we made our way through the northern mountains. As the day progressed through to the second morning the Dutchman's face grew redder and redder from the sun and his linen suit became more and more wrinkled. When we stopped at a weaving village we smiled as we watched him exuberantly buying scarves from every vendor it seemed, draping a dozen or so around his neck, adorning the rumpled linen suit. Through most of this, his family of wife and teenage boy and girl, sat in the shade deck of the boat with backs to the scenery, playing cards.
I haven't been to Burma before but I've seen it. In July 2009 in northern Thailand Maristella and I stopped here for a look see on our way to catch our boat for a two-day trip down the Mekong to Luang Prabang in Laos. This is the Golden Triangle, the spot by the Mekong River where 3 countries meet. I'm standing in Thailand, Laos is across the river on the right, and Burma is to the left. The poppies are in them thar hills.
Friends of mine have recently returned from Burma - two couples (traveling separately) from Manila and another couple from here in Qualium Beach - so I've been hearing the stories and looking at their photos and videos. One couple took a 10-day boat trip down the Ayerwaddy from Mandalay all the way to Yangon. (That's about 8 or 9 days longer than would suit me to travel with the same group of tourists, but 'chacun a son gout', to each his own). While they were not far from Manderlay there was a strong 6.8 earthquake and they witnessed, right in front of them, a part of a bridge under construction collapse, taking with it several workers - some lost their lives. This was last November 11th. As it happens one of their fellow travelers makes videos and here are links. One is a 6 minute video of the boat trip itself which shows glimpses of Burmese life and some of the places we will be, as well as giving a sense of what their tour was like with their fellow travelers.
The other, a 2 minute video, is more specifically scenes of the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, the bridge, the local people gathered outside, afraid to go back to the buildings, the search for survivors and the temple damage. Check them out, they're pretty well made and I think give a good sense of what it is like. I'll let you know. I just bought another memory card for my camera. 16GB. That should do it. Maybe.
Video maker is Wendy Evans www.rarolens.com.


No comments:
Post a Comment