Today on this second day of the new year, I awoke to blue skies and sunshine, an event truly worth celebrating.
Here on the Wet Coast, skies have been gray and more or less drizzling since October 11th, so this is a very welcome boost to the waterlogged spirits, to say nothing of a very waterlogged GreenHouse. Out there the fuchsias are in winter hibernation under the benches, while the saturated cedar drips and the rivers of condensation flow down the inside of the windows. I mop up with sponges and run the fan all day long. The door hasn't shut properly in months.
Just as I was admitting how fed up I was with all this gray and wet, I spoke to Number One Son yesterday in Ottawa. "There's 5 feet of snow here and it is minus 24 degrees", he tells me. OK, I'll shut up. I prefer this for sure. He is also making plans for his return to British Columbia in a few months, to live here again, likely on the Island somewhere. I'm not holding my breath, but he does sound serious.
Sun or no sun, I still go for long walks most days. Yesterday I noticed a blooming pink rhodo in someone's garden near the ocean, as well as two well flowering hardy fuchsias. Daffodils I planted in pots and left beside the house under the eaves are showing their green tips. Hellebore buds are fattening up to bloom later this month. So some know that spring will arrive before too long. In a few weeks we leave for southeast Asia, where I will no doubt have my early fill of warmth and sunshine.
Christmas this year was quiet - no visitors, but still, by yesterday, I was well and truly sick of the whole thing. After staying up till midnight watching an old George Carlin performance on the Comedy Channel the night before, New Year's Day was a day of deconstruction as I took down the tree and the lights to pack away for another year. We officially celebrated New Year's at what was 9:30 in the morning New Year's Eve day here, New Year's in Yangon(Rangoon) where they were publicly celebrating with fireworks and all for the first time. Times appear to be changing in Burma, and I'm on my way.
Happy New Year - off to enjoy the sunshine before it vanishes again. New Year Resolutions? Yes I have one. I resolve to stop pretending I like dark chocolate and only eat the milk.

No comments:
Post a Comment